My process...well, a piece of it :-)

Hi all!

I decided to share what exactly I do when I create graphic art or cover art.  Granted, I can't show you everything because that would give away too many secrets but I wanted to show you some of the process.  I do this because I have actually heard a few authors say, "Cover art shouldn't be expensive--it's easy".  Yes, cover art is easy if you don't do it right.  Also, keep in mind a cover is not an image of a sexy dude or couple with words on it.  But I'll get to that in another post.  For now, let's see the finished product:


This is Ursula, the sea witch from Disney's "The Little Mermaid".  She doesn't look like the cartoon character and that's because I thought the cartoon character was a tad bit insulting.  So, only skinny, young girls can have a happy ending?  Sorry, that's another tangent.  Getting back to the art piece...I wanted to show Ursula as a sad woman.  Perhaps this was her right after her world was turned upside down, when she no longer had friends, just before her misery turned her into a ball of hatred.

Anyway, my interpretation of Ursula used the following images:

 
Can you see them all in the final product?  I wanted to first start out with a woman in a mermaid costume so I could better get the feel of what that combination would look like. 
 
I first combined the mermaid, the octopus, and set up her pet eels:
 
If I left it like this, it would be awful--very cut and pasted like many covers I see these days (that'll be another blog post). I painted on her hair and added a few shadows while I was there.  I colored the octopus and the eels the color I needed--a very dark blue, nearly gray.

The next step was to add her ink.  This would prove difficult because the art piece was already dark.  I took the image of the fog, inverted it, and got black fog.  I added that, added some light and here is that product:
It's starting to get some texture.  I hate smooth images.  They don't feel real.  When I create covers, I always add texture of some sort.

Next, it was time to gray everything out.  The art piece was becoming far too blue and losing the feel I wanted.  I colored in gray so I could better see the highlights and shadows.  There were certain parts of the tentacles I wanted shown and certain parts hidden.  I also had to make sure everyone could tell the eels were not coming out from her body as the dark colors could blend in together.

Once I realized what it was I wanted to highlight, I then began to add color once more.  I still wanted the gray feel but I needed some harsh contrast and I wanted some of the blue back.

 
Next, I added more color--this time green.  I went with a Lomo style type of coloring because I love the depressed feel of it.  It would be perfect for this art piece.  I also added in another image to give more texture.
 
We're now getting toward the end of this art piece.  I painted a lot of the image to give it the right feel, I used hard brush strokes to make the edges harder, increased the lighting and the shadows, increased the contrast, added more color, and changed the size of the image.  I like having the models take up more of the piece.   I added in some plants because the piece was feeling a bit boring.  And voila!  The art piece without the fonts:


I know I only showed you six steps, but I have 76 layers for this piece.  If you've ever worked in Photoshop, then you know you need many layers to make an art piece.

I hope this has been enlightening and although I didn't show you everything I do, which would give away far too many trade secrets, I hope authors learned that creating art isn't easy just like writing a great book isn't easy.  It takes time and effort.  There is a great deal of work involved but just like writing, it's still really fun!

Thank you!



 





Comments

  1. So cool, and so not easy. I just love your work, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, Erin!

    I'm starting to learn the ins and outs of Photoshop, so I can appreciate all the hardwork and effort you put into all your creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Layna! Have fun working in Photoshop, I know I do :-D

      Delete
  3. I have seen so many "cover artists" just slapping words on a stock image and nothing else involved. I could do that... That's why I LOVE your work and don't even look at other artists anymore. You are a master at your craft and I appreciate the work you put into my covers. Everyone always says how wonderful they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Chantel! That means the world to me! :-) I strive to create only the best covers for your wonderful books! :-) Of course, you have a great eye--you always send me wonderful images to use! :-)

      Delete
  4. You are a true artist, Erin, and so far above the boring, slapped together cover-with-stock-photo-garbage I see out there. You CREATE. You envision DREAMS. You breathe LIFE into CONCEPT. I'm sold on your frikkin' awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, River! :-D I am honored you feel that way! Working with you always keeps me inspired :-)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really interesting look at the creative process behind the work, and I like how it shows the thought and experimentation that goes into building a piece from start to finish. It is always inspiring to see how artists develop their ideas step by step rather than just the final result. Posts like this give a better appreciation of the effort behind design and illustration. Thanks for sharing this insight.

    24k winner

    ReplyDelete


  7. yono new game 2026 looks like an exciting option for slot game fans! 🎰 Easy to explore, entertaining gameplay, and plenty of fun for players who enjoy trying their luck. Always download from a trusted source and play responsibly. 👍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts